EXCEL Campus Activities to host its third Battle of the Bands

Drummer Zandrea "Z" Moore plays the drums Feb. 10, 2018 during a performance at the Battle of the Bands event. This year the event, put on by EXCEL Campus Activities, is slated to feature five music groups. 

EXCEL Campus Activities will host its third Battle of the Bands event Saturday at 7 p.m. in the University Center Palo Duro Lounge. Attendants of the free event will be able to witness five bands compete for the grand prize of a gift card and studio time courtesy of UT Arlington Records and the music department.

The event will be open and free to students, faculty and staff, and their guests.

Last year, students noted that the amount of bands performing made the event drag on, EXCEL programming director Salvador Ontiveros said. To counter this, organizers have reduced the number of participating acts to five, from a total of 18 applicants.

The Battle of the Bands aims to highlight local and student-driven bands.

“Just the fact that a lot of [the bands] are close to their age, that they look like them, go to the same school,” Ontiveros said. “It just kinda makes it seem like a nice intimate setting, but also have, like, the glamour and glitz of a real concert.”

This year, students can expect to hear five local acts encompassing genres such as jazz, alternative rock and metal.

“It’s like a roller coaster,” Ashton Guevara, vocalist for Limerick and communication senior, said. “Right before you get on, you’re either really excited or really nervous, especially if it’s your first time. But once you’re on, it’s a blast.”

Event participants and organizers hope that the local performers will attract student interest.

“It’s easier to connect when you know that they’re local,” EXCEL photography chair Fausto Rivera said. Rivera will be the emcee for the event.

Last year the event hosted around 250 people, and the program expects a similar turnout for this year, Ontiveros said. The event will have free beverages and popcorn.

@edmedeles