History junior Brian Wagner used to kill time by mindlessly swiping through profiles on a variety of dating apps — until he met his girlfriend through one of them.

Dating apps used to be “something that you would hide on your phone in the privacy of your home,” said Alex Williamson, Bumble chief brand officer, in an email. But now, they’re becoming commonplace.

Added features such as meeting friends and networking have changed how people see dating apps — expanding their uses to more of a social platform.

With 60 million users on Bumble, Williamson said the online dating stigma has faded away.

Online dating coach Andi Forness said swiping apps are a lot more prevalent in the online dating scene, but it’s not necessarily a good thing.

“When you can just sit at a coffee shop or whatever and just because you’re bored and just swiping at people, you’re not really putting an effort,” Forness said. “You’re just throwing spaghetti at the wall.”

With a diverse amount of dating apps, people also no longer have to commit to one app. People are able to experiment with different apps and find their match.

Wagner’s girlfriend, history senior Helena Stevenson, said she experimented with three different dating apps before finally meeting Wagner.

Because she’s shy, she said the ease of starting conversations through dating apps helped her social life.

“Online dating was just kind of a way for me to talk to somebody before I met them and not have that initial anxiety or fear of like ‘Oh, well, what if we don’t have nothing to talk about,’” she said. “It was easier to meet people.”

@rocio_mhdz