Students talk favorite flavors of cheesecake

Students can celebrate National Cheesecake day tomorrow by finding creative ways to prepare cheesecakes. In honor of this day, The Cheesecake Factory is offering slices at half price from July 30th to July 31st.

Cheesecake, chocolate and sour cream.

Tomorrow is National Cheesecake Day. Consisting primarily of soft, fresh cheese, eggs and sugar, cheesecake is usually served on a crust of crushed cookies or graham crackers. It can be flavored with different fruits, whipped cream, nuts or chocolate sauce.  

Here are some ways students like to have their cheesecake. 

Plain

“The best cheesecake I ever had, my cousin made,” Sai Pavan Naralasetti, civil engineering graduate student, said. “It was a plain cheesecake, but it was delicious. It tasted homemade. You could really taste the butter and the cheese.” 

Electrical engineering junior Bradley Wabbersen’s also likes plain cheesecake.    

“There’s that pure flavor with plain cheesecake you can’t get with other flavors,” Wabbersen said.

Chocolate

Even though he loves plain cheesecake, Wabbersen said the best cheesecake he had was turtle, a mix of chocolate and salted caramel, cheesecake. He said it had a strong flavor and was covered in pecans and chocolate.

Yash Rajpal, computer science graduate student, said he loves chocolate.

“I don’t remember the best cheesecake I’ve ever had, but I love putting chocolate on my cheesecake,” Rajpal said.

Information systems senior Carlos Rangel said The Cheesecake Factory is his favorite place to have the creamy dessert. 

“I love cheesecake,” Rangel said. “They have a s’mores cheesecake that is covered in marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers. It’s like heaven.” 

The Cheesecake Factory is offering any slice half price Thursday and Friday to celebrate National Cheesecake Day. The restaurant is introducing a new cake, and donating 25 cents of each slice to Feeding America, a non-profit organization.  

Sour Cream

Computer engineering senior James Staud said that his grandmother makes the best cheesecake. 

“It’s a frozen cheesecake, and she puts sour cream on the inside,” Staud said. 

Wabberson said he’s probably had sour cream with his cheesecake without realizing it.

“Sour cream works well with desserts,” Wabberson said.

Rangel has never tried sour cream on his cheesecake, but said he would like to.

“It sounds really interesting,” Rangel said. “I would definitely try it.”

Staud loves the cheesecake his grandmother makes because of the sour cream.

“It has this balance to it,” Staud said. “If you add in too much sour cream, it tastes funny.”

@annaxgabriela

anna.gutierrez28@mavs.uta.edu