UTA Central Library to launch The Basement gaming space with Level UP event

Students use a Nintendo GameCube controller to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Sept. 17, 2014, on the Central Library mall. The Central Library staff will be hosting The Basement Launch and Level UP event for their new hangout space.

The Central Library staff will be hosting The Basement Launch and Level UP event for their new hangout space, “The Basement,” this Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The Basement is dedicated to technology exploration and was formulated to be a space for students to participate in casual gameplay and hands-on learning opportunities, said Milaun Murry, experiential learning outreach and events specialist, in an email.

The Basement will host monthly Level UP events that will provide students with chances to learn game-related techniques and information firsthand.

Level UP’s first event will be a “Basics of Game Development” workshop in room B20 in the Central Library, this Saturday from 1 to 2 p.m.

The launch event will offer visitors a chance to see everything the new space has to offer, according to Murry.

The Basement will also offer games for student walk-in use, including board games, PC and console games.

Currently, the space has the latest consoles, including a PS4 and Xbox One, and several classic consoles, like the NES, Playstation Original and a Wii, Murry said. The Basement will also feature augmented reality/virtual reality devices.

The feature console title for the launch will be Borderlands 3, which will be available for use once it’s released on Sept. 13, Murry said.

Additionally, they will debut their new custom tabletop gaming tables and available board games, Murry said.

“We will be adding more systems throughout the school year and introducing new console games regularly,” she said.

There will be free pizza and drinks at the event, along with hourly raffles for The Basement-themed prizes.

“Within the next year, we hope that we will also have empowered students to teach each other with student-led game development and critique workshops,” Murry said. “We would like The Basement to be a space in which students can connect to UTA and each other. Students are more successful when they feel they are part of a community.”