Jorge Ambrosi, an architect based in Mexico City, Mexico, spoke to students on Wednesday about how they can use architecture as a medium to connect to the world around them.

The College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs hosted Ambrosi as part of its fall 2019 lecture series.

Ambrosi said his lecture served as a way to teach students how to relate architecture to the environment.

“We don’t have all the answers in the things that we do,” he said. “We don’t [come] here to lecture them — we come here to share with them what we’re going through.”

During his lecture Ambrosi referred to two projects from the 2018 Venice Biennale to provide students with insight on the process of architectural design.

The Venice Biennale is an exhibit where academic architecture and the professional world come together to share designs and conversation, according to a previous Shorthorn article. It is one of the most highly regarded architecture exhibitions in the world, with about 600,000 people attending the previous exhibition.

Architect junior Frank Rose talked about the importance of the Mexico Pavilion displayed at the Venice Biennale that Ambrosi discussed.

Rose said the display didn’t just show the best architecture or landscapes of Mexico, it also raised awareness for the underdeveloped regions of Mexico.

Architecture graduate student Matthew Walker said as architects, their responsibility is not only to help design communities but to be considerate of the people in those communities.

“If that means sacrificing some of our ideas to better people, or to come to a compromise with a specific group of people you’re trying to address, then it’s worth it,” Walker said.

@ _CandiceHines