City Council proposes electric scooter program at UTA

Council members discuss an agenda during a city council meeting Feb. 5 in Arlington. The council talked about the potential of partnering with UTA to bring electric scooters on campus. 

The Arlington City Council discussed the possibility of partnering with UTA and bringing electric scooters to campus at the Tuesday city council meeting.

The city chose to target the UTA area because of its interest in this technology, council member Kathryn Wilemon said. The proposed partnership would be a pilot program that would test the scooters on campus and around the downtown area.

Deputy City Manager Jim Parajon said he believes Arlington is one of the nation’s leaders in innovative transportation technology.

Other cities ask the city of Arlington for help because they see what Arlington does with technology, Parajon said.

Arlington property owner Charles Swafford said the transportation advancements that Arlington continues to make are great; however, safety needs to be prioritized.

Yoko Matsumoto, alumna and human resources interim director, agreed that safety needs to be a key piece in the development of any innovation.

The city is thinking outside the box with these advancements, Matsumoto said. Innovative ideas, such as electric scooters, are important for the city to meet community needs.

City staff plans to meet with UTA next week to discuss further details, Wilemon said.

@rocio_mhdz