weather

Fall weather is finally on its way to the Metroplex with a Sunday cold front that will drive temperatures down after a hot and humid week in the high 90s.

Arlington residents can expect lower temperatures this week, with temperatures warming back up to the mid-80s on Wednesday before another expected cold front on Thursday, said Jason Godwin, National Weather Service meteorologist. 

“Then we get the next cold front, that looks even stronger, come in Thursday night,” Godwin said. “We’ll see highs on Friday and Saturday in the 60s, with lows possibly dropping into the 40s Friday night.”

Monday has scattered chances of showers, with a 20% chance of thunderstorms, according to the National Weather Service. Arlington is predicted to be dry for most of the week, with rain chances returning along with the stronger cold front this Thursday. 

This cooler weather comes after temperatures have remained higher than average for this time of year.

“For the month of September, 29 out of the 30 days were above normal temperatures,” Godwin said. “That’s true so far in October as well, where the first five days and [Sunday] will finish above normal.”

For most of the month of September and the start of October, temperatures have remained in the upper 80s to mid-90s.

“We’re not getting any cold fronts down here so we’ve just stayed at a late summer type of weather pattern,” Godwin said.

According to the National Weather Service, Arlington is expected to have temperatures below normal for the next few weeks of October.

“It’ll be much noticeably cooler around here,” Godwin said. “Although it’s coming a little late, it looks like for this next week it will finally start to feel like fall in North Texas.”

@IndiaEdwards