crime

This is a wrapup of crime for Friday and Saturday.

Criminal mischief

A report of criminal mischief was made at about 11 a.m. Saturday at the Science and Engineering Innovation and Research Building, according to the UTA crime log.

UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said UTA Police officers investigated damage discovered on the gate arm at the SEIR Building exit. Video showed that a vehicle driving through forced the gate open. Total cost of damages are estimated at $300.

According to the Texas Penal Code, criminal mischief that causes a loss of between $100 and $750 is a class B misdemeanor. A class B misdemeanor is punishable by a jail term of up to 180 days, a fine of up to $2,000 or both.

Unlawful disclosure or promotion of intimate visual material

A male student reported unlawful disclosure or promotion of intimate visual materials at about 8 p.m. Friday on the 400 block of Summit Street, according to the UTA crime log.

McCord said the student made the report after being threatened with the posting of private videos of himself online by an individual he was chatting with online. The individual demanded $1,500 in exchange for not posting the videos. The student did not pay.

According to the Texas Penal Code, unlawful disclosure or promotion of intimate visual materials is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by a jail term between 180 days and two years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

DWI- Second offense

A male nonstudent was arrested in connection with a second driving while intoxicated offense at about 2 a.m. Saturday on the 1200 block of Cooper Street, according to the UTA crime log.

A UTA Police officer stopped the vehicle for a traffic violation, McCord said. The driver was arrested and transported to the Arlington Police Department Jail without incident.

A second DWI offense is a class A misdemeanor. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by confinement for a term not to exceed one year, a fine not to exceed $4,000 or both, according to the Texas Penal Code.

Theft

A male student reported theft at about 2:45 p.m. Friday at the 1000 block of Ruby Street, according to the UTA crime log.

McCord said the student made the report after responding to an email regarding a job opportunity. The male student was sent checks, asked to purchase Amazon gift cards valued at $1,400 and send the gift card information to the requester. The bank informed the student the checks he deposited were fraudulent.

According to the Texas Penal Code, theft between $750 and $2,500 is a class A misdemeanor. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by up to a year in jail, a fine of up to $4,000 or both.

McCord said UTA Police cautions members of the community about these types of scams, and more information is available at police.uta.edu/scams.

Theft

A female student reported theft at about 10 a.m. Saturday on the 700 block of Planetarium Place, according to the UTA crime log.

McCord said the student reported the theft of her Samsung Galaxy 9S smartphone, valued at $1,000, and her phone case, valued at $40. The items were taken without her knowledge or permission while she was in class at the Central Library. The student’s phone was in her back pocket, and she noticed it was missing after class.

Theft

A male staff member reported theft at about 11 a.m. Friday at the 500 block of Yates Street, according to the UTA crime log.

McCord said the staff member made the report after finding a package was taken from an unsecured mailroom where it had been previously delivered by FedEx.

@a_pad97