Digital signs to be installed on campus as supplement to emergency alert system

A digital sign sits on a wall in a computer lab July 10 at the College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs Building. Signs were put up in labs and classrooms to display emergency information should the need arise.

The Office of Information and Technology is installing 130 digital screens in various learning spaces around campus to serve as a supplementary method of emergency notification.

According to the Office of Information and Technology website, the new signs will integrate with the UTA Police Department’s Emergency Notification System and display emergency alerts during critical, urgent emergency situations.

The completion of this project will allow alerts to display different types of helpful information and messages depending on location, said Keith Halman, Business Technology Services executive director, in an email.

“A person need not be a student, staff, or faculty member to receive important information,” Halman said.

The initial budget for the project is $350,000 funded by a UT System-approved grant from the Permanent University Fund, which comes from nontuition-related revenue sources, Halman said.

Outside of emergency situations, these signs will function as digital clocks that display the date, time of day and a three-day weather forecast.

To maximize visibility in locations large groups typically gather, the locations of the signs were determined based on feedback from the administrative and academic departments around campus, Halman said.

Select classrooms and labs in the College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs Building and the Science and Engineering Innovation and Research Building will be the first to receive these digital signs followed by other university-designated spaces later in the year.

Placement of the digital signage within classrooms is intended to minimize any disruption to the instructional process, Halman said.

@peytonnorth