Crime log

This is a wrap up of crime for Monday and Tuesday.

Felony theft attempt

A female student reported attempted felony theft at about 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Arbor Oaks apartments, according to the UTA crime log.

Jeffrey Seidel, UTA police community engagement officer, said the woman made the report after she received a message over Instagram trying to blackmail her. The message contained photos of the woman’s face photoshopped onto a nude body and demanded $8,000 in exchange for not posting them.

According to the Texas Penal Code, attempted theft of between $2,500 and $30,000 is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by a jail term between 180 days and two years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

Theft

UTA police officers arrested two nonstudent males in connection with theft at about 4:30 a.m. Monday at Davis Hall, according to the UTA crime log.

Seidel said the men were taking boxes from the UPS drop box. Police interrupted the theft and arrested both of them.

They were taken to the Arlington Police Department Jail without incident.

According to the Texas Penal Code, theft between $100 and $750 is a class B misdemeanor. A class B misdemeanor is punishable by up to 180 days in jail, a fine of up to $2,000 or both.

Impersonating a Public Servant

A female student reported impersonation of a public servant at about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Meadow Run apartments, according to the UTA crime log.

Seidel said the woman made the report after receiving a call from someone claiming to be an official from the Department of Homeland Security. The caller said the student owed money for her Visa and demanded that she give $1,000 worth of gift cards. The student sent the gift cards then contacted the UTA police.

According to the Texas Penal Code, impersonating a public servant is a third degree felony. A third degree felony is punishable by a jail term between two and ten years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

Burglary of a building

A female staff member reported burglary of a building at about 8 a.m. Monday at Hammond Hall, according to the UTA crime log.

Seidel said the woman made the report after she found her office window had been broken. Three iMac desktop computers were taken, with an estimated value of $5,900.

According to the Texas Penal Code, burglary of a building is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by confinement in a state jail between 180 days and two years, a fine not to exceed $10,000 or both.

Burglary of a habitation

A male student reported burglary of a habitation at about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Centennial Court apartments, according to the UTA crime log.

Seidel said the student made the report after his Apple watch was taken from his room, estimated to be valued at $450.

According to the Texas Penal Code, burglary of a habitation is a second degree felony. A second degree felony is punishable by a jail term between two and 20 years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

@spencerbrewer10