Former UTA golf director found responsible for sexual harassment of female athletes

Former golf director Stuart Deane stands Sept. 30, 2016, outside the Gilstrap Athletic Center. Deane was found responsible for sexual harassment of female athletes among other violations.

Former golf director Stuart Deane was found “responsible for sexual harassment or unwelcome sexual comments,” instances which directly influenced a female athlete to transfer to another university, according to a UTA investigation report obtained by The Shorthorn in a Freedom of Information Act request.

UTA investigators discovered Deane violated university policies regarding alcohol and Title IX and engaged in unprofessional conduct, according to the university's official statement, released to The Shorthorn on Friday.

Deane resigned prior to the investigation’s conclusion effective Oct. 6, according to UTA documents obtained by The Shorthorn. In a previous Shorthorn article published on the day of Deane’s resignation, a UTA Athletics department spokesperson said Deane resigned to pursue other professional endeavors.

Deane worked at UTA for about three years and is currently a professional golfer. 

A former player emailed UTA President Vistasp Karbhari on August 26 to detail some of the allegations, according to the report. The sender claimed to send the email only after graduating from the program, fearing retaliation as a student-athlete. 

Deane was then placed on paid administrative leave effective August 27 while the university investigated.

“The University of Texas at Arlington is committed to the safety, security and wellbeing of all UTA students,” Karbhari said in the statement. “When presented these serious allegations, the university immediately initiated an investigation and took measures to protect our students.”

One former female athlete reported that she transferred to another university in part because she was offended by a comment made by Deane, according to the report. He allegedly asked her during a conversation about band camp, “Did you stick your flute up your pussy or was it too big for you?” referencing a scene in the movie American Pie.

Deane denied saying this, according to the report.

The report states that multiple players said they found the alleged statement offensive and that “his statements were a substantive factor in her transferring.” The investigation concluded it most likely happened based on “the preponderance of evidence” that Deane made the alleged comment to the player, and it contributed to her leaving the team.

According to the report, witnesses reported that Deane said he enjoyed “watching the women more than the men because he could at least enjoy their ‘tits and ass,’” which Deane confirmed in a Sept. 6 interview during the investigation.

Multiple witnesses claimed Deane made comments about female players’ bodies, including a time when he asked a student to dress like actress Audrey Hepburn, according to the report.

The investigation found that “Deane created a hostile environment for female players in that there is ‘a situation of discriminatory or sexual nature,’” according to the report.

Deane also admitted to allegations of drinking alcohol and then driving while on school-sponsored trips with students, according to the report. Some players acknowledge students over 21 were allowed to consume alcohol on these trips in violation of UTA Athletics rules.

Deane stated he did not drink excessively on any tournament or drive recklessly, according to the report.

There were two incidents reported in which Deane allegedly offered alcohol to an underage female player at tournaments, according to the report. He denied ever offering alcohol to someone underage.

More than one individual reported Deane offering alcohol to the minor, and the investigation found the allegation to most likely be true, according to the report.

The Shorthorn attempted to contact Deane and Rogge Dunn, an attorney who advised him during the investigation, but neither responded by publication time.

UTA offered resources and counseling to all complainants and students involved, according to the university’s statement.

@reeseoxner

Editor-in-Chief

Reese Oxner is The Shorthorn editor in chief.