Student Senate introduces, amends health-related resolutions in general body meeting (copy)

UTA Police Chief Kim Lemaux talks Nov. 5 during a Student Senate general body meeting in the University Center. Lemaux talked about the services of UTA Police and how they can help students.

Gov. Greg Abbott appointed UTA Police Chief Kim Lemaux as the chair of the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement, according to a Dec. 6 press release.

The Texas Commission on Law Enforcement’s mission is to establish and enforce standards that ensure the people of Texas are served by highly trained and ethical law enforcement, corrections and telecommunications personnel.

Lemaux was first appointed to the commission in April 2017, according to the commission’s website.

Now as chair, she said in an email that it’s an honor, and she is looking forward to working with the commission’s director and staff.

“I am profoundly grateful to Governor Abbott for the opportunity to serve him, the citizens of Texas and the law enforcement profession through this appointment,” she said.

She is also looking forward to representing UTA and the UT System Police in her new role.

President Vistasp Karbhari said Lemaux’s appointment is a well-deserved honor.

“Her leadership at UTA has resulted in not just a safe and secure campus but one that is welcoming to all and focused on the wellness and success of our students, and I’m deeply grateful for her efforts in enabling this,” Karbhari said.

He said he has no doubts Lemaux will bring the same passion and leadership to the commission.

@Brian_L8