Crime log

This is a wrapup of crime for Friday and Saturday.

Impersonation of a public servant

A female student reported impersonation of a public servant at about 6 p.m. Friday on the 400 block of Summit Street, according to the UTA crime log.

Jeffrey Seidel, UTA Police community engagement officer, said the woman made the report after receiving a call from someone claiming to work for the government. This person said the woman needed to pay $3,000 in gift cards to fix an issue with her visa. The woman paid $600 and contacted police.

According to the Texas Penal Code, impersonation of a public servant is a third degree felony. A third degree felony is punishable by a jail term between two and 10 years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

Unlawful disclosure or promotion of intimate visual materials

A male student reported unlawful disclosure or promotion of intimate visual materials at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday on the 500 block of Summit Street, according to the UTA crime log.

Seidel said the man made the report after explicit videos were posted online. An unknown suspect demanded money in exchange for not posting the videos. The student met the suspect on Facebook.

According to the Texas Penal Code, unlawful disclosure or promotion of intimate visual materials is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by a jail term between 180 days and two years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

Theft

A male student reported theft at about 8:30 p.m. Friday at the Maverick Activities Center, according to the UTA crime log.

Seidel said the student made the report after his black iPhone X and white earbuds were stolen. He had left them on a bench while he played basketball.

According to the Texas Penal Code, theft between $750 and $2,500 is a class A misdemeanor. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by up to a year in jail, a fine of up to $4,000 or both.

@SpencerBrewer