Kidnapping, sexual assault suspect arrested

Courtesy: Arlington Police Department

Arlington resident Joel Mambe, 21, pled guilty to kidnapping, robbery and the sexual assault of a female student last summer, said Sam Jordan, Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney’s Office communications officer.

Mambe was arrested in connection with the charges in June 2018.

The kidnapping and assault occurred off-campus at about 3 a.m. June 23, 2018 as the female student returned home to the Midtown Arlington Apartments, according to a previous Shorthorn article. The student reported that a man approached her with a handgun, forced her to drive her car to an ATM and withdraw the maximum amount of funds from her account.

The man then forced her to drive to a separate apartment complex in east Arlington where he sexually assaulted her, according to the article.

Later, the man forced the student to drive him to a convenience store where he made a $30 purchase with her debit card, according to the article. The man then drove her to another apartment complex in east Arlington where he stole her cell phone and instructed her not to call police, then fled on foot.

A pre-sentencing investigation has been ordered by the judge, with the next hearing scheduled for July 2, Jordan said.

Mambe is pleading guilty to all charges, but not in agreement for a certain sentence, which is why the investigation is being held, she said.

Jordan said Mambe did not pay the $157,776 bail and is currently at the Arlington Police Department Jail.

@reeseoxner

Editor-in-Chief

Reese Oxner is The Shorthorn editor in chief.