Susan Hull, Grand Prairie ISD superintendent, dies after motorcycle accident

Susan Hull, Grand Prairie ISD Superintendent, died Monday after being critically injured in a motorcycle accident.

Susan Hull, Grand Prairie ISD Superintendent, died Monday after being critically injured in a motorcycle accident, according to a Grand Prairie ISD statement.

“Texas lost one of its stars on Monday,” Teresa Taber Doughty, College of Education dean, said in an email.

Hull was an educator in Texas for 39 years and worked in five school districts. She served as Grand Prairie ISD Superintendent for twelve years, and in 2005 was selected as the Texas Superintendent of the Year by the Texas Association of School Boards and the Texas Association of School Administrators.

“Her legacy will be the thousands of students, families, and communities she positively impacted as an educator and education leader in Texas,” Doughty said in a statement Tuesday. “She will be greatly missed.”

Hull partnered with UTA’s College of Education to form the Education & Leadership Preparatory Program, Doughty said.

The Education & Leadership Preparatory Program, also known as the grow-your-own Teacher Academy, started in 2017 with a majority of students enrolled from Grand Prairie ISD.

The program allows junior and senior high school students to take dual credit core curriculum courses at UTA. After graduating high school and transferring to UTA, they study bilingual and ESL education and work as a paid teacher aide in Grand Prairie ISD.

Each year, 25 to 30 students participate in the program. The hope is that they will return to teach in Grand Prairie ISD, Doughty said.

“She was innovative and never afraid to take a risk if it benefited a child,” Burke Hall, Grand Prairie ISD board of trustees president, said in an email.

Hull also helped start Grand Prairie ISD’s Schools and Programs of Choice. The program helped empower students and parents to take control of their education, Hall said.

Hall said Hull was a fierce advocate for public education who dedicated her life to ensuring all children have the opportunity for success.

“She was a leader, a mentor and a friend,” Hall said. “She loved her family above all else and relished her roles as a wife, a mother and a grandmother.”