Sigma Chi fraternity suspended from UTA

Sigma Chi fraternity house sits on Greek Row Drive on April 8. The fraternity was suspended by the national organization, after violating the fraternity’s alcohol policies and for its members’ failure to comply with the Preparation for Brotherhood pledge program.

Sigma Chi International Fraternity indefinitely suspended its UTA chapter.

The executive committee of Sigma Chi International Fraternity voted to suspend the university chapter indefinitely after it repeatedly violated the fraternity’s alcohol policies and for its members’ failure to comply with the Preparation for Brotherhood pledge program, according to a press release.

“It is unfortunate when the fraternity closes one of its chapters, but the severity of these circumstances made our decision for us,” said Tommy Geddings, Sigma Chi International Fraternity president, in the press release. “The offenses that the chapter has committed are simply too grievous to allow the culture that exists within the group to perpetuate. The executive committee was left with no other option than to close the chapter.”

A student was hospitalized last month for excessive drinking after an alleged hazing incident occurred, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

President Vistasp Karbhari suspended all social activities pertaining to Greek life last month, citing concerns over hazing, sexual assault and alcohol abuse reports.

The university created a task force including student presidents, alumni and advisers from the four Fraternity and Sorority Life governing councils to recommend changes to Greek life at UTA to prevent incidents like this from happening, Karbhari said in an interview last month.

Karbhari hopes to have the Greek life social suspension lifted by fall.

@NardaLPerez