Suspect charged in fatal Cooper Street pedestrian collision

Cars pass by the newly posted speed limit sign at the intersection of UTA Boulevard and Cooper Street on Nov. 26, 2018. 18-year-old Jordan Coleman was struck by a vehicle while she was walking on the sidewalk Feb. 3 on Cooper Street and was taken to Medical City Arlington, where she died the next day from her injuries.

Hashem Tafesh, 21, was charged with manslaughter after fatally hitting 18-year-old Jordan Coleman with his car while she was walking on the sidewalk on Cooper Street on Feb. 3.

Tafesh had a passport from the country of Jordan and a UTA identification card on him at the time of the incident, according to the arrest warrant affidavit.

Joe Carpenter, UTA chief communications officer, said in an email that there are no records indicating Tafesh was ever enrolled at the university, but it is possible Tafesh obtained a MavID card during the registration process without officially enrolling.

The incident happened on the 2000 block of Cooper Street, according to the affidavit.

Tafesh was driving a 2006 Honda Pilot northbound in the left lane of Cooper Street when he drove onto the sidewalk and hit Coleman from behind, according to the affidavit.

Cooper Street curves to the left where Tafesh struck Coleman. Tafesh kept driving straight instead of curving with the street, according to the affidavit.

Tafesh stayed at the scene of the incident and cooperated with investigators.

Coleman was taken to Medical City Arlington where she died the next day from her injuries. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner ruled her cause of death as blunt force injuries because of a pedestrian and motor vehicle collision.

@NardaLPerez

Social media editor

UTMavThinker

Good thing we reduced that speed limit so stuff like this doesn't happen. Oh wait.

Nene3003

[angry] so upset that this keeps happening, I agree with the other person its not a fault of UTA. This young man is totally the blame and should face the consequences of his actions. There needs to be more Police monitoring Cooper street to meany death along this street.

Meemurzz

But why does the fact that he has a Jordanian passport matter? That is just irrelevant information and promotes racial propaganda. Please think before you write. University of Texas Arlington has a very diverse community and has students from all over the world. Please leave your personal racial propaganda out of it thanks.

cat56

Although this was a tragic accident, a point needs to be made before the campus community again tries to blame UT Arlington for something out of their control. The Shorthorn keeps publishing follow-ups to this accident and posting pictures of the campus. This accident did NOT happen on the campus or on Cooper Street inside the boundaries of the campus. The 2000 block of Cooper, where the accident took place, is almost to Pioneer Parkway. UT Arlington has no control over what happens outside the boundaries of the campus, and Cooper Street is a State of Texas highway. And...the young lady who was killed was up on the sidewalk not in the street. The only blame for this accident should be put upon the man who drove his vehicle up on the sidewalk. Was he distracted, texting while driving, driving under the influence, or just a horrible driver? Either way...don't blame UT Arlington.