The UT System Board of Regents’ budget raises UTA’s operating budget by about $33.6 million for the 2020 fiscal year.

The budget, which went into effect Sunday, sets UTA’s operating budget at about $722 million, a 4.9% increase from the previous year, according to the budget document. UT System regents approved a $21.1 billion systemwide operating budget, a 7.4% increase from the previous year.

UTA also received about an $18 million increase in funding from the 86th Texas Legislature for the fiscal year, according to the budget document.

Tuition revenue at UTA is expected to increase by 4.5%, driven by tuition rate increases approved by the UT System Board of Regents, according to the document.

UTA plans to utilize $38 million from prior year reserves for a building renovation project and several technology and software improvement projects during the year.

The UT System operating budget features increases at each UT institution. Revenue is projected to be at $21.7 billion, according to the budget.

Healthcare activities, including patient income and professional fees charged by UT faculty physicians, drove growth in the budget this year, the document stated.

While the expense budget may be growing across UT schools, the operating budget of the UT System Administration is shrinking by 1%.

Each year, the Office of Budget and Planning prepares the budget over multiple months with other budget offices at each UT institution, said Nicholas Long, vice chancellor for budget and planning, in an email.

The administration looked for ways to operate more efficiently to save money for UT System institutions and its students, Long said.

Source: UT System Budget Operating Budget Summaries 2020201920182017 and 2016.

@colby_farr