Photos: Lady Movin' Mavs fall to Great Britain national team in Jim Hayes Invitational

Freshman Elodie Tessier maneuvers around opponents during the first game of the Jim Hayes Invitational Homecoming Tournament against Great Britain on Nov. 7 at the Physical Education Building. Tessier scored four points.

The Lady Movin’ Mavs fell to the Great Britain National Team 54-38 on the opening night of the 2019 Jim Hayes Invitational Homecoming Tournament on Thursday.

Early in the first half, the Lady Movin’ Mavs led by as many as eight points before Great Britain switched to a half-court press defense that gave UTA some difficult matchups.

“They're fast, they're aggressive, they press,” head coach Jason Nelms said. “That's something that we actually need to see a lot more of, is to see what our weaknesses are.”

Sophomore Annabelle Lindsay had an impactful four points and three rebounds in the second quarter that kept the Lady Movin’ Mavs in the lead going into halftime.

“I think we did some awesome passing, [and] I think we worked really well as a team,” Lindsay said.

Lindsay finished the game as the leading scorer for UTA with 18 points.

Coming out of the halftime break, Great Britain used its size and defense to control the Lady Movin’ Mavs’ offensive rhythm as it went on an 8-0 scoring run.

Sophomore Rachel Gonzalez, who finished the game with four points, said Great Britain had a height advantage over her team.

“It was very hard for us to break their press,” Gonzalez said. “Great Britain got out there and wanted to post us every chance they could get, so that's what we were battling tonight.”

Great Britain hit two key 3-pointers in the fourth quarter that put them ahead by 15 points and stopped any opportunity for a Lady Movin’ Mavs’ comeback.

Nelms said he saw positives in his team, and he hopes they will carry over into the tournament games over the weekend.

“Intensity is going to be a big thing that we're going to take from this game,” Nelms said. “Staying with your game plan and not riding those emotions up and not riding them down.”

The Lady Movin’ Mavs will compete against the University of Arizona next at 3 p.m. Friday at the Maverick Activities Center.

@OlmedoAEO