UTA alumnus claims gold at 2019 Parapan American Games

Senior long jumper Tobi Fawehinmi jumps across the sand pit Jan. 15, 2016, at Maverick Stadium. Fawehinmi won a gold medal in the Men's Long Jump T47 Final at the 2019 Parapan American Games in Lima, Peru.

UTA alumnus Tobi Fawehinmi added to his extensive collection of hardware Monday.

The two-time Paralympian placed first in the Men’s Long Jump T47 Final at the 2019 Parapan American Games in Lima, Peru, posting a mark of 7.03 meters. Fawehinmi was a member of the men’s track and field team from 2013 to 2017, where he placed in the top 10 in the triple jump at multiple Sun Belt Conference Championships.

Fawehinmi said he prepared for the competition in Lima by training at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in California with his coach, Jeremy Fischer.

“We’ve been training hard and just taking things day by day, making sure we’re executing things right at practice,” Fawehinmi said.

He said his time at UTA helped him get to this point because it taught him perseverance.

“Everything that we do, it’s all [an] opportunity for us to get better,” Fawehinmi said. “Being at UTA and being in the collegiate system definitely taught me even more about myself as an athlete.”

Up next, Fawehinmi will compete in the 2019 World Para Athletics Championships from Nov. 7 to Nov. 15 in Dubai. Fawehinmi previously competed in the 2017 championships, where he claimed gold in the triple jump.