UTA experiences multiple season firsts at 2019 Maverick Classic

Junior libero Madelyn St. Germain digs the ball during the game against the University of the Incarnate Word on Sept. 6 at College Park Center. St. Germain had 15 digs in the contest to help the Mavericks defeat the Cardinals.

Over the weekend, the volleyball team (4-2) encountered a few firsts when it hosted the 2019 Maverick Classic.

The team picked up its first official home win of the season, freshman outside hitter Gabby White recorded her first career kill, and the team suffered its first official loss at home.

First official home win

On Friday, UTA defeated the University of the Incarnate Word by way of a 3-0 sweep. The Mavericks had already won an exhibition match at College Park Center on Aug. 23 against Dallas Baptist University, but Friday’s victory against Incarnate Word counted toward UTA’s overall season record.

Senior outside hitter Kylie Jedlicka said playing three matches in two days is difficult but worth the effort.

“You get so ready for [the] season playing these tournaments,” Jedlicka said. “We’ve honestly grown so close as a team, it makes it so easy to play on the court.”

Jedlicka led UTA to victory with 11 kills and two aces.

First career kill

White recorded her first career kill in UTA’s second match of the Maverick Classic against Southern University on Saturday. The Mavericks trailed Southern 12-11 in the first set when the Lewisville, Texas, native spiked the ball past the Jaguars’ defense to tie it up.

The freshman outside hitter said she was excited to be out on the court with her teammates.

“Overall, we had great hits and great blocks. We just need to keep working on getting better at those things,” White said.

White finished the match with five total kills, aiding in UTA’s 3-0 victory over Southern.

First home loss

After picking up two decisive victories, the Mavericks dropped their final match of the Maverick Classic against the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. UTA dropped the first set 25-22 but managed to win the next two sets to jump in front.

UNC Greensboro won the fourth set 25-23 and continued its momentum in the fifth and final set, securing a 3-2 victory over UTA.

Sophomore outside hitter Brooke Townsend said the Mavericks knew they weren’t going to be handed points against UNC Greensboro.

“We knew that they weren’t going to give us anything,” Townsend said. “We learned a lot from this match because we knew that we had to make points for our own.”

The volleyball team will travel to Pullman, Washington, for the Cougar Challenge this weekend. UTA will open its competition against Liberty University at noon Friday at Bohler Gym.