UTA’s golf teams will open their season over the weekend.

The men’s team will travel to San Antonio, Texas, to compete in the Lone Star Invitational, while the women’s team will compete in the Marilynn Smith/Sunflower Invitational in Manhattan, Kansas.

Casey Devoll, men’s golf head coach, said he is expecting his team to come out of its season-opening tournament with a victory.

“We don’t have to go out and shoot six or sven hundred every round, especially at [this course],” Devoll said. “We just got to be consistent, stick to our game plan, and we’ll be fine.”

Devoll said his top five will consist of junior Paul Gonzalez, sophomores Kyle Cox, Caleb Hicks and Zakary Jones, and freshman Daniel Cronje. Junior Zach Cole will compete in the tournament as an individual.

Catherine Matranga, women’s golf head coach, said she hopes her team will continue to build off its strong finish from last season, where the Mavericks finished seventh at the Sun Belt Conference Championship.

Junior Sydney Garber said she wants her team to take advantage of the opportunity the tournament will bring to face more prominent opponents.

“I think we’ll learn more about the pressure that we have to put on ourselves and just realize that we need to relax when we’re playing with these big schools,” Garber said.

Garber, along with senior Elena Kim, juniors Madigan Murray and Kate Tran, and freshman Kinsey Ray will represent UTA in the opener.

The men’s team will tee off with 36 holes Monday, while the women’s team will start its season Sunday.