Lipscomb Hall to be discontinued by fall 2021, eventually demolished

Lipscomb Hall is now the oldest residence hall on campus after Brazos Hall was removed in 2018.

UTA is preparing to discontinue service at Lipscomb Hall in the fall semester and eventually demolish the oldest residence hall on campus.

Eric Leidlein, auxiliary services executive director, said via email that plans to renovate the Lipscomb residence hall are cost-prohibitive. According to the Student Housing Master Plan, the building will eventually be demolished and converted to a green space to accommodate The Green at College Park project.

The Green at College Park is an area of land near the corner of South Center and West Mitchell streets, just to the east of where Lipscomb Hall currently stands.

The 2.6-acre area project currently functions as a park, plant garden, an ecological water detention system and a large-scale rain garden.

Lipscomb South has been a housing option for students at UTA since 1957, and Lipscomb North has been in operation since 1963.

After the demolition of Brazos Hall in July 2018 and the removal of Trinity Hall in December 2019, Lipscomb Hall was left as the oldest and last of the vintage residence halls on campus.  

Since the beginning of the fall 2020 semester, Lipscomb Hall has been used to quarantine and self-isolate students who were exposed to COVID-19 or tested positive for the virus and did not have sufficient off-campus accommodations. 

The residence hall was home to the most affordable housing options offered to students. 

The cost of a double room at Lipscomb North and South from 2020 to 2021 was $4,030 while the next most affordable housing options were double rooms at Arlington and Kalpana Chawla halls at $5,390.

But some students feel that the accommodations at Lipscomb were dated and needed to be changed.

English alumna Kassidy Johnston lived in Lipscomb from the fall of 2018 to the spring of 2019. Johnston said she chose Lipscomb because it was a cheaper option, but it was not one of the nicer halls.

“It was just dirty,” Johnston said. “In the shower area, you would look down and you could see there were tiles missing on the floor.”

Johnston said she didn’t have a bathroom roof during most of the time she spent at the hall, and the ceiling was leaking and had mold.

Her feelings towards the building are not unique. 

Jacob Denham, broadcast and communication junior who lives in The Heights on Pecan, had to stay at Lipscomb Hall for over a week and a half when he had COVID-19 this semester.

If given the option, Denham said he would have considered living at Lipscomb Hall because it was relatively spacious and cheap. But he said the residence hall definitely showed its age. 

“If I was ever going to get axe murdered or possessed, this was the place that it was gonna happen,” Denham said. “It looks like something out of The Shining.”   

@KevinLandrum13