crime

This is a crime wrapup for Feb. 6 to Feb. 9.

Assault

A male student pepper-sprayed another male student during a confrontation while driving at the West Campus Parking Garage on Feb.7, UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said. The victim refused to assist with prosecution.

According to the Texas Penal Code, assault is considered a class A misdemeanor. Violators can face a fine of up to $4,000, up to a year in prison or both.

Theft

An officer found a bicycle near College Park Center that was stolen from campus, McCord said. According to the crime log, it was reported Feb. 9 and the case is under investigation.

The Texas Penal Code states theft of an item or items worth between $100 and $750 is a class B misdemeanor. Violators can face a fine of up to $2,000, prison time not exceeding 180 days or both.

Theft of firearm/Unlawful carrying of a weapon

An officer stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation Feb. 6 near College Park Center, McCord said. The driver, a male non-student, possessed a stolen handgun. He was transported to the Arlington Police Department jail and charged with unlawful carrying of a weapon and theft of a firearm.

Unlawful carrying of a weapon is considered a class A misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a fine of up to $4,000, up to a year in prison or both.

Theft of a firearm is considered a state jail felony and violators can face a prison sentence between 180 days and two years and possibly a fine not exceeding $10,000, according to the Texas Penal Code.

Possession of a controlled substance, marijuana and drug paraphernalia

An officer found cocaine, marijuana and marijuana vape oil in a vehicle during a traffic stop Feb. 6, McCord said. Two female students and an unaffiliated male passenger were arrested and transported to the Arlington Police Department jail.

According to the Texas Penal Code, possession of a controlled substance weighed between four and 200 grams is a second-degree felony. Violators can face a prison sentence between two and 20 years and possibly a fine of up to $10,000.

Possession of marijuana weighing less than two ounces is considered a class B misdemeanor. Violators can face a fine of up to $2,000, a prison sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

Possession of a controlled substance weighing less than one gram is considered a state jail felony. Violators can face a prison sentence between 180 days and two years and possibly a fine not exceeding $10,000, according to the Texas Penal Code.

@colby_farr