More forcible sex offenses were reported to UTA police in 2012 than in the two years before, according to an official annual report.

UTA released the 2013 Annual Campus Fire and Safety report, which includes statistics of crimes reported to have occurred at UTA in the past three years. The report is required of all college campuses nationwide under the Jeanne Clery Act.

Burglaries and motor vehicle thefts were also up compared to previous years.

Ten forcible sex offenses were reported in 2012, compared to two in 2011 and four in 2010. One of the reports in 2010 was said to have happened in 2007. A forcible sex offense is defined as a case where there is penetration without the victim’s consent, assistant police chief Rick Gomez said.

Of the 10 incidents reported in 2012, six were said to have occurred in an on campus residence. The other four reports were classified as forcible fondling, which is a sub-category of forcible sex offenses in the Jeanne Clery Act. The forcible fondling reports involved the same two staff members on four different occasions. In each of the 10 reports, the people involved knew one another, Gomez said.

“There were no stranger on stranger assaults on the victims,” Gomez said. “Most of the cases involved alcohol.”

@UTAShorthorn

rafael.sears@mavs.uta.edu

Crimes Reported at UTA 2010 - 2012