It’s not you — it’s me.

We’ve had a lot of fun, but I think it’s best that I move on.

This is the last time you will see my byline in The Shorthorn.

A lot of emotions surface when I write those words. For three years, The Shorthorn has been my safe haven. It’s where I’ve made friends, had some of my greatest achievements and been knocked down more than ever.

We’ve been through huge ups and downs. Remember when the women’s team went to the NCAA Tournament for the first time? I took you there and we shared that experience.

When President James Spaniolo said there wouldn’t be any football for at least five years? I was pissed right along with you.

If I didn’t take you through something by writing the story, I felt the emotions with you.

No one knows me better than you do. You know I have opinions on blacks, sports, women and any combination thereof. You know I hate Rich Boy’s new album. You know I love the Mavericks women’s basketball team.

I’d like to think that I know a little bit about you. You’re not a fan of anything that costs more money — tuition, fees, textbooks, etc. Some of you like football while others could care less. Some like the new mascot, others hate it.

I know that not all of you are too keen on me. You’ve let me know this through e-mails, phone calls and visiting my office.

I’m fine with that, too. As long as you’re picking up the paper, I honestly could not care less about what you think of me.

I’ve held a lot of jobs here at The Shorthorn. I’ve written for almost every section — sports, opinion, Scene — and on almost every subject, but more than that I’ve been a public servant. You’ve looked to me to keep you informed about what’s happening on campus.

Hopefully, I’ve delivered.

I hope that I have a done a good job as your editor in chief for the past year. I know I’ve made some mistakes — you point that out quite well — but I’ve always had your best interests at heart.

Am I coming back, you ask?

No, I’m afraid not. I fear that would just make it harder on the both of us, and more than anything, I want this relationship to end smoothly.

I’ll still be around on campus, but now if you want to know my opinion on something, you’ll just have to ask me rather than pick up the paper and look for it.

— Princess McDowell is a journalism junior and the outgoing editor in chief of The Shorthorn.