Photos released of possible car related to robberies

UTA Police released photos of a white, four-door sedan they believe was involved in two robberies reported to have happened Wednesday night.

At least one man in each report was said to have possibly fled in the car, according to a police bulletin released Wednesday. The photos are dated at 8:09 p.m. Wednesday. UTA police emailed the photos to the UTA community Thursday.

Police described three men in a separate bulletin sent Wednesday night. A weapon was not used in either report, assistant police chief Rick Gomez said.

In the first report, a man reportedly approached a female student who was walking in the 200 block of West Fourth Street, north of Kalpana Chawla Hall, and grabbed her cellphone, according to a crime bulletin the university emailed to the campus community about 11 p.m. Wednesday.

In the second report, another female student was walking near the West Crossing apartments at 415 S. West St. when she was approached from behind by a man, who also grabbed her cellphone, the bulletin stated.

Both students had their cellphones visible, Gomez said. UTA Police advises students not to showcase their cellphones when they are outside at night.

“If people are going to be out and about, be aware of your surroundings,” Gomez said. “Walk in groups or call the UTA police for a security escort.”

Nothing indicates that the recent robberies are connected to an aggravated robbery that reportedly occurred last week, Gomez said. Arlington police are assisting UTA police in investigating the three reports.

UTA Police encourages the community to call either 817-272-0469 or 817-272-3381 if there is any additional information that can help with the investigation.

UTA community members may call UTA police to request a security escort at 817-272-3381.

@searsrafael

rafael.sears@mavs.uta.edu

This story was updated at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 31.