Assistant coach Adam Babb describes himself as a “jack of all trades,” using his varied experiences to train players on the men’s golf team.

“I’ll help however and whenever I can,” Babb said.

In January, Babb joined head coach Casey Devoll’s coaching staff as a volunteer assistant coach. He was promoted to assistant coach in May.

Nineteen years ago, Babb was a senior golfer at UTA when he was selected to the Southland Conference First Team. He shot 3-under-par 213 at the 2000 Southland Conference Golf Championship to claim an individual crown.

Babb’s name is also entrenched in multiple pages of the record books for the men’s golf program. In the 1999-2000 season, he achieved a No. 68 national ranking, which currently ranks second in UTA history. He also recorded a scoring average of 72.69, good enough for fourth in program history.

However, Babb uses his struggles instead of his successes to coach UTA’s current golfers.

“He was obviously very good, he won a junior college national championship, and he won conference here, but he doesn’t tell them about that,” Devoll said. “He tells them about the hard times, his experiences. And they listen.”

Before returning to UTA, Babb worked as a caddie and won multiple All Pro Tour and Northern Texas PGA events.

Junior Paul Gonzalez said Babb uses the knowledge he gained from being a golfer and caddie in the professional ranks from 2002-08.

Babb was coaching a youth basketball team that Devoll’s son played on when he began talking to the head coach about returning to UTA.

“It was great timing,” Babb said. “It’s family. It’s kind of a no-brainer for me.”

Before Babb joined Devoll’s coaching staff, the Mavericks had no rounds under par and accumulated a score of 254-over in their first 18 rounds of the 2018-19 season. After his arrival, the men’s golf team posted a combined score of 29-under in its final 13 rounds, nine of those under par.

UTA also tied for fourth place at the 2019 Sun Belt Conference Championship, where it posted a score of 10-under 274, its lowest round recorded at the Sun Belt tournament.

Gonzalez said he credits much of last season’s strong finish to Babb’s arrival and presence on the staff.

“I don’t think it just happened overnight,” Gonzalez said. “I think a lot of it had to do with him being around and just bringing what he has to the table for us.”

Babb said he believes the men’s team can ultimately become a top program in the NCAA, but he wants to help the members of the squad excel, whether it’s in golf or not.

“At the end of the day, it’s all about them,” Babb said. “My goals are for them to be successful.”