Dallas Wings trade four-time WNBA all-star Skylar Diggins-Smith to Phoenix Mercury

Dallas Wings guard Skylar Diggins-Smith attempts to slip by a Chicago Sky defender on July 31 at College Park Center. The Dallas Wings have traded Diggins-Smith to the Phoenix Mercury. 

The Dallas Wings have traded Skylar Diggins-Smith to the Phoenix Mercury.

Dallas will receive a 2020 fifth pick, a 2020 seventh pick via Seattle and a future first round pick as a result of the trade.

The trade comes after Diggins-Smith told the Associated Press that she didn’t want to play in Dallas anymore.

Diggins-Smith, a four-time WNBA all-star, has been the face of the franchise since 2013, when it was known as the Tulsa Shock.

Throughout her career, Diggins-Smith has averaged 15.9 points and 4.9 assists per game.

The former University of Notre Dame star sat out of the 2019 season after giving birth to a son.

Diggins-Smith will now join forces with Mercury all-stars Brittney Griner and Diana Taurasi.

“I’m so excited to have Skylar joining our franchise in pursuit of another championship. She has had an amazing career at all levels—college, the WNBA, and Team USA—and I know she’ll continue to grow here in the Valley as one of the best players in the world,” Taurasi said in a press release.