After an 11th place finish at the Marilynn Smith/Sunflower Invitational, the women’s golf team will look to bounce back at the Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate this weekend in Palm Desert, California.

Head coach Catherine Matranga said the Mavericks will enter their second tournament of the season focusing on techniques and the mental aspects of the game.

“We’ve worked very hard,” Matranga said.“I think they’ve all realized they needed to work on a few things, and they take it upon themselves to do a great job of that.”

The women’s golf team will return to the Classic Club course, where it tied for ninth at last season’s Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate.

Matranga said the team is familiar with different shots that closely accommodate the conditions on the course. She also said that strong winds could have an impact on shots throughout the tournament.

Junior Madigan Murray has experience with the course after playing in Palm Desert last season. She said she has familiarized herself with the techniques that apply to each hole based on difficulty and recognition.

Murray led UTA as it recorded scores of 316-308-324 to wrap up its first tournament at 84-over-par.

Matranga said the team responded with a good week of preparation after its season-opening tournament last week.

“It was kind of an eye-opening week for us,” Matranga said. “[It’s a] challenging way to start the season, but it also can really motivate you to motivate the team to really push themselves and get better every week.”

UTA will compete at the Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate, which begins Saturday and concludes on Sunday.

@OlmedoAEO