Women’s golf team closes season with seventh-place finish at Sun Belt Championships (copy)

Freshman Janae Tan prepares to tee off during the UTA Invitational on Oct. 23, 2018, in Mansfield, Texas. The women's golf team placed seventh at the 2018 Sun Belt Conference Women’s Golf Championship.

The women’s golf team kicked off its spring season with a seventh-place finish Tuesday at the Texas State Invitational in Kyle, Texas.

UTA registered scores of 308-318-306 to finish at 68-over-par 932 in a tie for seventh with Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. The Mavericks closed out the tournament’s first day in a tie for ninth place. The Texas State Invitational was suspended late Monday due to darkness.

Junior Madigan Murray led UTA, tying for second place and finishing at 3-over 219. Sophomore Abigail Adams tied for 43rd at 20-over, while junior Kate Tran followed one stroke behind in a tie for 48th.

Freshman Kinsey Ray and sophomore Janane Tan rounded out the scoring for UTA, placing 64th and tying for 71st, respectively.

Junior Sydney Garber competed as an individual at the tournament, tying for 36th at 18-over 234.

The women’s golf team will continue its season at the Kiawah Island Spring Classic from March 1 to 3 in Kiawah Island, South Carolina.